Sunday, December 6, 2009

Flow

One of my favourite features of Londinium is the river Thames. As far back I can remember I have always been fascinated by urban rivers, which I explain by the fact that my hometown's river, la Senne, has been built over. I have crossed most London bridges, at least once, by foot or by car. It doesn't matter, as long as I can admire the continuous and calm flow of the Thames. Rivers are sacred for me.water is the source of life, historically and biologically. Most civilisation have developed along a river that provided them with food, drink, power and transport. Biologically, they support a great deal of wildlife, macro- and microorganisms, forming the food chain. Symbolically, they are very important to me. A long time ago, a total stranger I met in MachuPichu, and who could read me like a book (to this day the encounter remains a mystery to me), advised me to look at rivers to understand life. I pretty quickly tired of looking at the Urubamba River, and didn't think of it until seeing the Ganges in Rishikesh, where it comes to the plains from the hills. We followed it uphill, and the thought came back, making sense now... The water always get around the stones to eventually reach the sea. I believe the flow of life is very similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment